Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Faith in the System

Mine has been somewhat restored!

Today was my annual appointment with my geneticist. He listened to my concerns, he agreed that I was NOT a hypochondriac, and he had a light bulb moment of insight as to what may be barring my path with TTC.

He is sending me for an MRI to check if I have Chiari, blood work to check my kidney function, iron levels (I appear to still be anemic), thyroid levels, and to see if I have Celiac's disease.

I will be scheduled for a follow-up appointment in 6 months, or as soon as the MRI is done, whichever comes first.

He also said he'd send me for a skin biopsy if my previously diagnosed "nickel allergy" rash doesn't go away by the next time I see him. (So far it's been "treated" with steroids, anti-fungals, antibiotics, antihistamines, and something else...? Most of which had no effect, and the steroids made it worse.)

So the "light bulb moment" was that my kidneys may not be allowing my body to absorb (enough of) the iron I'm taking, which would, combined with other things, render me infertile to some degree.

4 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

Good luck!

BubbleGirl said...

Thanks!

stipeygirl75 said...

When you figure it out let me know - I have had the same problem for 9 years now. We finally gave up and are adopting.

BubbleGirl said...

I will certainly update to the best of my ability.